Before I dive into the ingredients and cooking instructions, keep in mind I would consider this recipe a beginner's attempt at baking with veggies. After searching and discovering a ton of options on Pinterest, I picked what I liked from each recipe and skipped on those that were a bit "fancier". If you haven't had this meal before but would like to give it a try, this recipe is for you.
Ingredients2 medium sized zucchinis
1 pound of beef, Italian sausage or turkey meat
2 cups of your favorite spaghetti sauce
garlic salt (to taste)
1 cup of sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Cut both zucchinis in half, spooning out just enough middle contents to create a boat for your filling.
- Cook meat until no longer pink. Drain off grease, returning to pan.
- Add in your spaghetti sauce. You can add more or less depending on how saucy you want your meat, simmering for 10 minutes.
- Add zucchini to a baking sheet and spoon meat into zucchinis.
- Top with garlic salt, cheese and basil.
- Cook for 14-15 minutes.
I am so excited we tried this recipe. My first attempt was very basic and simple, using beef but my next round I think I'm going to a 50/50 of turkey meat with Italian sausage. We kept the meal light by pairing our boats with a dish of apples and grapes.
Looking for more ways to enjoy zucchini? Here is my "Get In My Belly" board from Pinterest. Just search zucchini for a handful of recipe options plus much more. I am a bit embarrassed by the fact that I have nearly 800 food recipes pinned. What can I say? I love to eat!